Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Community feedback is needed on whether Libreb

From: Leah Rowe
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Community feedback is needed on whether Libreboot should apply to re-join GNU
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2017 11:03:03 +0100

Hi Michael,

I understand your hostilities. Given the circumstances, you are being
quite reasonable. I'm quite neutral about you and hold no ill will
against you or your organisation; quite the reverse, in fact. I will
respond to your individual points.

On 04/06/17 09:27, Michael Dorrington wrote:
> Hi Leah
>
> You are yet again dodging making amends to MFS, as you have been
> for months.

In what way have I been dodging?

Put another way: what do you think I should do to make amends to your
organisation?

> The period that you cancelled was in the period where you now
> describe yourself as "highly unstable" among other issues,
> including when you sent mass emails falsely accusing a rival
> company being "proprietary hosting company", forcing Thomas Umbach
> to send an email saying:
>
> "We're now forced to seek legal advice to protect ourselves
> against these baseless claims and frivolous actions from Leah Rowe,
> so she will not make untrue assertions about Vikings again. I would
> rather use my resources and that of all people already supporting
> Vikings and invest it in the Vikings libre hosting project.

Yes, and Thomas Umbach, although not included in my public apology, is
someone who I have nonetheless apologized to privately.

Whether he accepts that apology (or even received it; I messaged him
via IRC, and I may be on his /ignore - his email server blocks my
emails) is his decision, which I respect either way. One is not
obliged to accept apologies that they receive from someone who wronged
them in the past.

To make amends, Libreboot's website now lists his company fully:
https://libreboot.org/suppliers.html#vikings

I also regularly tell people to purchase his products (e.g. D16) when
it seems indicated, and I tell people about his hosting service that
he is trying to create.

Vikings is highly valuable to the Libreboot project, and I hope to see
it succeed. This is in contrast to what I may have said in the past,
which I have since retracted.

All known libreboot-related companies are listed on that page, in
alphabetical order.

> This is not child's play any longer. While Leah Rowe's "private
> war" may harm Vikings' business, more importantly it hurts our
> community by creating unnecessary conflict."

I resolved it by making peace. See above.

There are no longer any private wars between me or anyone, and I don't
even run the Libreboot project anymore.

> Although that email exchange included libreplanet-discuss I don't
> think they made it through and aren't in archives.  But the
> extensive list of individuals copied in got the emails.
>
> You now say on libreboot.org: "I hope that I can prove to you all
> that I do wish to make amends for the damage".

Please send Thomas Umbach my regards. I'm quite happy for him to
re-join the Libreboot project, which is no longer run by me
exclusively but by a collective committee with community input:

https://libreboot.org/management.html

Stepping down as exclusive leader and coordinator in Libreboot was one
of the things that I did, to make amends. With all the power that I
abused, I no longer deserved said power, so I stepped down as leader
of the Libreboot project.

We also adopted conduct guidelines in Libreboot, based on the
Contributor Covenant:

https://libreboot.org/conduct.html

Thomas Umbach is more than welcome in the Libreboot community.

> Just send a short email about if you are going to make amends to
> MFS or not.

Once again, I ask what do you want me to actually do?

Perhaps attend a future meeting or two, to make up for my absence in
previous meetings?

I'm also quite happy to send a detailed apology letter to the
Manchester Free Software mailing list, if you'd like?

As previously stated, I genuinely couldn't attend the last meeting due
to family matters; I had forgotten to email you until the last minute.

I do genuinely want to make amends with you. I've spoken with you many
times in the past, and you strike me as the type who is constructive;
please tell me what you expect me to do, precisely, and I'll try my
best (within reason).

- --
Leah Rowe

Libreboot developer

Use free software. Free as in freedom.
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Use a free BIOS - https://libreboot.org/

Use a free operating system, GNU+Linux.
Or use LibertyBSD.

Support computer user freedom - https://peers.community/
https://fsf.org/ - https://gnu.org/

Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom | Registered in England,
No. 9361826 | VAT No. GB202190462
Registered Office: 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island, Essex SS8 9QA, UK |
Web: https://minifree.org/