[libreplanet-discuss] Code license principles in academic publications?

From: Pen-Yuan Hsing
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Code license principles in academic publications?
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 21:02:46 +0100

Dear libreplanet-discuss,

I have been asked to comment on a draft article about best practices/principles in publishing academic computer code (e.g. scientific R scripts, Python code, etc.).

Though the article is supposed to be short, I think a huge glaring problem in this draft is that software licenses are not mentioned AT ALL.

Obviously one comment I'll add is that it is crucial for code to be free (as in freedom) and that a license needs to be attached to its publication.

That said, I'm just wondering if anyone has already written about this and if I can refer to it? Ideally something that lays out the basic steps of attaching a software license?

Sorry I've only got about 32 hours to respond, so would really appreciate any of your suggestions!