Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Replicant or LineageOS or ???

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Replicant or LineageOS or ???
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 16:03:16 +0200

On 14/06/17 15:53, Adam Van Ymeren wrote:
> On June 14, 2017 9:00:35 AM EDT, Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> wrote:
>>
>> With CyanogenMod gone, more and more people are looking at which OS to
>> use next.
>>
>> LineageOS[1] is the most well known successor, but how does it compare
>> to Replicant[2] when it comes to security and privacy?
>>
>> Are there other alternatives people should consider?  Various articles
>> have popped up[3] with comparisons.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> 1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LineageOS
>> 2. https://www.replicant.us/
>> 3. https://www.maketecheasier.com/cyanogenmod-alternatives-for-android/

> Lineage includes binary blobs and firmware that many peripherals in phones
> require.  Replicant does not.  So that is  +1 on Replicant side.
>
> However the bigger problem with both is that on many phones the cellular
> modem has direct read/write access to the system memory and is running
> proprietary firmware that shipped with the device which can contain backdoors
> and tracking software, some of which can even be activated when the cellular
> modem claims to be "off"
>
>  The best defense against this while still having a smartphone is something
> like the GTA04 project, where the schematics are public and designed to
> isolate the cellular modem such that it does not have full memory access and
> the power is literally cut when you turn off the cellular.
>
> Smartphone privacy is more than a software problem at this point, you also
> need to be careful about the hardware you run it on.

Yes, a device that you carry on your person does have unique privacy
risks as well and some people prefer not to have any (smart)phone at all.

Is there anything like GTA04 in the pipeline that supports LTE / 4G
though?  I saw it was discussed[4] for GTA04 but it is not clear.

Regards,

Daniel

4. http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2012-April/066708.html