Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free Software as potential solution to Aircraf

From: Mary-Anne Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free Software as potential solution to Aircraft Management Systems
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 14:51:24 -0500 (EST)

While I completely appreciate the desire to present about a problem, your
proposal would be stronger if there were an initial example of a solution, or
at least a limited partial solution.  Do you think that private pilots or
others who care about their own safety could be persuaded to adopt a libre
solution for some part of what they need, without requiring the government to
demand it of them?  That would seem more possible than trying to override the
money that motivates actions within government.

Those who oppose any change in government regulation would point out that
flying is on average safer than driving.  That this is true does not negate the
concerns that you have, because the number of people killed and injured because
of driving is too high.  However, you would likely need to be able to respond
to this point, such as giving examples of airline accidents attributable to bad
software, accidents that could have been prevented.  I am not aware of any.

Mary-Anne