[libreplanet-discuss] Recommendations for video chat on mobile phone

From: Jim Garrett
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Recommendations for video chat on mobile phone
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2018 21:56:52 -0400

Hi everyone,

I'd like to hear people's recommendations for (Free) video chat
software  with clients for an Android phone (preferrably software in
F-Droid) as well as iPhone (so I can get others with iPhones to chat
with me).

Criteria:

  * Uses a protocol for which iPhone and Android clients are available
  * Free software, or at worst with a permissive license
  * Supports video chat
  * Easy to use and performs well

I tried GNU Ring and it connected and carried the call, but the audio
was very quiet on my phone, and when I plugged in my earbuds the audio
didn't switch over to them.  These are rather cosmetic issues that I'm
sure will be resolved in future versions, and I look forward to using it
in the future, but in the meantime it's not adequate.

I looked at some XMPP Android clients, but it seems that there are none
that support video chat.  Am I missing some?

I found Linphone, but haven't tried it out (with another person).

Are Ring and Linphone the only two mobile phone possibilities?

Thanks in advance,

-Jim