Re: [libreplanet-discuss] ethical edtech edit-a-thon

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] ethical edtech edit-a-thon
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 14:11:42 -0700

On 2019-03-13 11:39 a.m., Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
> Aaron Wolf <wolftune@riseup.net> wrote:
>> There's a bunch of confusion going on here. <…>
>>
>> As far as trying to talk about these topics in general, I suggest the use of
>> FLO (Free/Libre/Open), as discussed at
>> https://wiki.snowdrift.coop/about/free-libre-open
>
> Argh!  That’s a perfect idea to get some more bunches of confusion, if you
> ask me.
>
> When Raymond & Co. decided to coin a new word to hijack the essence of free
> software to promote their own idea, they cared and succeed not to repeat Dr.
> Stallman’s mistake of using an ambiguous word, so they didn’t not call it
> ‘open’, which would be even more overloaded than ‘free’ is¹, but ‘open
> _source_’.

I'm not suggesting "open" on its own be accepted as anything precise,
it's far too overused and abused. "Open Source" is a recognized term.
But FLO as a full term is not overloaded but is specifically NOT an
overused overloaded term. So, it is exclusively used to talk about
free/libre/open-source etc.

"Open" isn't used only for "Open Source" in this context though as there
are "Open Access" journals and "Open" as in https://okfn.org/ "Open
Knowledge"

"Open" on its own is nearly useless. But FLO is more specific, it refers
to meeting all the core freedoms while having some tie-in to the
mostly-synonymous cases of "Open" as in "Open Source". It's not Free
*or* Libre *or* Open, but Free AND Libre AND Open (not to suggest that
those terms mean different things, but something that clearly meets
*all* of them is clearly FLO).