Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Involving more women in my local LibrePlanet g

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Involving more women in my local LibrePlanet group
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 19:16:09 -0700

I am not a woman but I have two suggestions about trying to make a less
man-dominated movement.

1. If your advocacy group has or is developing a capacity to help others
directly, look for local active women-led organizations in other areas
of activism where you are.  Ask if there is anything your group might be
able to help with.

2. Keep in mind that it is self-limiting to think "We are doing project
X, how can we get women to join project X" compared to "How can we
directly help others, keeping in mind that if they find libre software
useful, they might also decide to participate in making more of it,
maintaining and documenting it, and sharing it?"

I think there is a risk, when free software movement men think about how
to involve more women in their project, that the men have decided what
the project is supposed to be -- and want women to support their vision,
vs. instead introducing the software freedom in practice to larger
social projects, including women-led projects, that are important to
women and other people.

-t