Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Dual text/plain multipart/alternative content

From: Kevin J. McCarthy
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Dual text/plain multipart/alternative content
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 12:43:50 -0700

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 01:05:21PM -0400, Ian Kelling wrote:
Yes, its being converted. We upgraded the mailing list server a few months ago and accidentally disabled the conversion and re-enabled it recently about a month ago.

Thank you for confirming the change.

I just sent another message to the list discussing this, where I explained why my feeling is that we should continue converting html for this list.

I agree with the sentiment towards html email expressed in that message, and don't wish to argue *for* html email on this list. My only regret is that the conversion is being done when there is already a text/plain part, resulting in an ambiguous choice for the mail client.

It might be preferable if the text/html part could simply be dropped when there is a text/plain alternative.

However, I understand there are trade-offs in all directions, and your decisions affect hundreds of mailing lists, where everyone has a different opinion. :-)

By the way, the mailing list footer is being properly appended outside the multipart/signed. So for text-only emails, a signature is not broken.

-Kevin