Re: latest in event cancellation

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: latest in event cancellation
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2020 22:35:13 -0700

As a bit of a follow-up:  Suddenly, many institutions are
scrambling to "virtualize" their gatherings.

It is nice to see libreplanet using low, usually robust tech
like IRC.

It is nice to see that there is a streaming option libre enough
that libreplanet will use it.

I am thinking that this event will heavily (and probably not happily)
stress test non-libre communications software widely used in
academia and government to handle meetings.  To point at the categories
I'm thinking of, and not to pick on either of these two companies in
particular, I mean firms like Granicus and Zoom (meeting streaming,
captioning, and archiving;  teleconferencing;  respectively).

My personal guess, based on reading lots of climate science and some
about this virus and pandemics generally: Situations on which social
distancing is extrinsically imposed will tend to become more frequent.
Not all of these will be social distancing for medical purpose.  Some
will be because of breakdowns of other communications systems and
travel systems.

The Libre / Free Software Movement is enriched with a legacy of "low tech"
communications tools that are tried and true, well developed under real
world use.   IRC is an example.  Various mailing list software.  So on.
Making more that is also robust is also a practical task for modest amounts of "programming labor" to take on. Perhaps one beneficial path is for some of us to focus in these areas - not only on development but on packaging, distribution, support and documentation, and promoting its wider deployment.

Real-time, high-bandwidth, computationally intensive systems (such as
libre streaming) also seem suddenly invaluable and arguably merit a real
push right now, in the face of present and foreseeable emergencies.

Happy Hacking, ;-)
-t