Re: LibrePlanet and DFD

From: Paul Sutton
Subject: Re: LibrePlanet and DFD
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 19:04:30 +0000

On 11/03/2020 13:26, LM wrote:
> The SFD (Software Freedom Day) group (
> http://mail.sf-day.org/lists/listinfo/sfd-discuss ) was discussing
> planning Document Freedom Day.  Similar to the LibrePlanet conference,
> they've run into some issues and were considering moving their meeting
> online.  However, it doesn't sound like they have the organizational
> resources of the FSF.  Does the FSF have enough speakers for
> LibrePlanet 2020?  Is there any chance of reaching out to the SFD
> group and seeing if it would be possible to include part of DFD in the
> LibrePlanet 2020 conference?  Might enhance both events if the groups
> could combine forces.

I can't speak for the fsf here, but having the DFD and other conferences
 online sounds a really good idea, in fact for me, that makes it easier.
 There is very little around Devon / Cornwall UK.  I run the local tech
jam but that isn't really big enough.

is this the dfd website ?

https://www.documentfreedom.org/

As the website still shows 2018 as the date,  I know the fsf are using
all free tools for the actual talks, perhaps for dfd etc it would be
possible to:

* Set up a website using WriteFreely
* Pre-record videos / talks and upload to say you own peertube instance
* Schedule the videos to appear at set times.
* Set up IRC so that we can have a q/a in the main channel (say
#docfreedomday) after the talk then channels set up for each talk for
further discussion.

Link to decentralized social media, for example Mastodon so that talks
can be federated as I think writefreely federates to Mastodon properly
using Activity pub.

https://writefreely.org/
https://joinpeertube.org/

Not sure if this helps. I do think it would be a good idea to try and
share expertise, I don't think sharing free software, is an issue as
such, it seems, the issue is finding, enough expertise make everything
work without relying on the same people all the time.

Paul

--
Paul Sutton
https://personaljournal.ca/paulsutton/