Re: Free Software Logo

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Free Software Logo
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 19:07:43 +0300

* Adonay Felipe Nogueira via libreplanet-discuss
<libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org> [2020-10-30 18:43]:
> Em 29/10/2020 12:59, Jean Louis escreveu:
> > To clarify my previous post, there are groups like free system
> > distributions from https://www.gnu.org that would not go after
> > somebody using their logo or trademarks in any manner, they would
> > continue doing what they are doing.
> >
> > GNU is also trademark, but GNU never did anything into that direction
> > as it opposes in general intellectual rights.
>
> As far as I have read, GNU head trademark is enforced only when non-free
> software poses as “GNU” or when the GNU head is used to advertise
> non-free software.

I don't think the trademark was ever "enforced". You can ask FSF or
RMS.

> Besides that, the free/libre system distributions generally also remove
> those for NodeJS's npm, Rust's cargo and other package management
> facilities that by default point to repositories not committed to de GNU
> FSDG, guidelines which require exactly that, or a change in the default
> repository configuration to either remove all of such (leaving only the
> package manager there, but with no repository information) or to point
> to a repository that is committed to the GNU FSDG, for which there are
> rare ones since most JavaScript, Python, Rust folks don't seem to care
> until it bites them in some other way.

> It must be noted that the reason for removal in cases related to any
> trademark is due to its *enforcement policy* (for example, from Rust),
> not simply because of the trademark's existence.

Yes, trademarks remain, but if organization has trademark policy
preventing people to distribute it without changing trademark in the
newly distributed software (usually when modified) then it is freedom
issue.

> Back on the case of Rust, as a pun, and perhaps as invitation to start a
> rebranded edition, https://just-lang.org/ was made — I don't know who
> started that, but I think it was either Alexandre Oliva (lxo, lxoliva)
> or Jason Self (jxself, jself).

Alright, good project.

Jean Louis