Re: Fine differences

From: Pedro Lucas Porcellis
Subject: Re: Fine differences
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2020 01:04:46 -0300

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 10:23:51AM -0300, Adonay Felipe Nogueira via
libreplanet-discuss wrote:
> Em 31/10/2020 04:57, Jean Louis escreveu:
> > I have not verified each system distribution and I do not think that
> > the approach to simply remove packages that could go to non-free
> > repositories is the best approach. I do not say it is not right, I say
> > it is not best approach.
>
> Indeed, but in the other exteme (making GNU FSDG-compliant repositories
> for these package managers) requires time, extra knowledge on the
> intricacies of each package manager and preferably a coordination to
> have all free/libre system distributions contribute to it.
>
> > Best approach would be to bundle or prepare package repositories or
> > packages of let us say npm in the distribution itself. Better is
>
> Indeed, some Python/Rust/NodeJS packages are already available in most
> free/libre system distributions in the form of the distributios' native
> packaging system.

This is actually the better approach. A distro should know better how it
wants to install a software than a general use package manager. For
development, tools like pip, npm and others works fine, but into a
production/release level, maintainers should just release the tarball
and let people package themself.