Re: What email can folks try that's in harmony with principles of Libre

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: What email can folks try that's in harmony with principles of Libre software and like gmail isn't stored locally?
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 16:33:13 +0300

* Don Saklad <dsaklad@gnu.org> [2020-11-21 15:59]:
> What email can folks try that's in harmony with principles of
> Libre software and like gmail isn't stored locally?

You may find this page of interest:
https://www.fsf.org/resources/webmail-systems

You mention that Gmail email is not stored locally. No email is ever
automaticaly stored locally. It is up to user to decide to store it
locally or pull it from remote server to your local computer. Gmail
can be pulled from remote server to local computer just as any other
type of an email inbox.

Best option for email is that you host it yourself as that way you
have so much control. Your inbox is as large as the VPS or dedicated
server that you rent. Virtual Private Servers are now already US $2.5
to US $5 per month.

I may recommend Courier MTa
http://www.courier-mta.org/

which is available in many GNU/Linux distributions. It is quite easy
to install and it has a simple wizard, web interface for later
administration, and webmail that supports PGP Encryption. So far I
know no Javascript is necessary.

On Android/LineageOS or Replicant fully free OS for mobile devices you
may use the K9 application or any other email application. But K9
supports encryption. So you may use K9 to read emails which remain on
server.

VPSes are available on Digital Ocean Web Hosting:
https://m.do.co/c/564f4aeba6a8 and other good company I know is
https://www.servetheworld.net in Norway There is also Vultr.com and
others.

Once you have your VPS, you can tell me and I can help you install the
Courier MTA on your server.