Re: [OT] : Liberapay

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [OT] : Liberapay
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2020 21:11:22 -0800

Liberapay is a relative stand-out in terms of working to overall be
positive. I don't think they are having any sort of remarkable effect
because they just support plain old traditional donations (i.e. it's
just a tool for membership donations not unlike direct membership to FSF
etc). I wouldn't expect a lot of income just by getting listed there,
but it's okay enough.

I'm the co-founder of a still-not-fully-launched platform to better
organize larger crowds to support free/libre/open software and other
public goods. And we have made a pretty thorough summary of the tools
out there that are already available (in fact, Liberapay links to our
summary in their own FAQ).

So, to compare:
https://wiki.snowdrift.coop/market-research/other-crowdfunding

I'm not certain that Liberapay meets the FSF level of stringent ideals
(even for Snowdrift.coop working on alpha stuff, we had to compromise by
serving Stripe's proprietary JavaScript on a single page). But as far as
general safety, Liberapay is a legitimate platform run responsibly.

So, it's safe enough, just know that most of the success in fundraising
will be due to your own efforts to promote the project and ask for
donations. Signing up on a platform won't get that much attention in itself.