Re: Threema is now free software AGPL?

From: Ali Reza Hayati
Subject: Re: Threema is now free software AGPL?
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 21:00:10 +0330

This is good news. However, we should see what would be their reaction to their mobile/desktop app being forked and used to create new clients using their servers. And, is their server source code libre yet?

Signal apps' source codes are available as well but they don't let us to create a libre client. They have Google Play Services implemented in their apps which makes their software nonfree and they don't let us to remove them and create a libre client and, for example, publish it on F-Droid.

Also, they are a paid service, which is wonderful for a libre project and I hope they remain a paid service as it's an example for other services that "free software" is about liberty, not price. However, people like me who live in sanctioned countries can't pay the price, even if it's as low as $2.25.

This can be fixed by federating the messenger. Just like how Matrix does it. There's a special paid server/instance with support and high speed/quality and there's other servers/instances which can be free or paid.

I never tried Threema but releasing their source codes under an strict libre license such as AGPL will definitely bring us many information on how it works and how good it is, hopefully.