Re: Adobe Reader 10 - paper form solution

From: Leland Best
Subject: Re: Adobe Reader 10 - paper form solution
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 23:23:29 -0600

   Hi Greg and All,
   Sadly, haven't had time to read this entire thread so apologies if I'm
   repeating somebody(s).  But ...
   I'm in the US and physically (neurologically) incapable of filling in
   forms via handwriting.  While the most popular forms here are now
   available as "fillable" PDFs, they weren't always, and even now many
   less popular forms, schedules, worksheets, etc. still aren't.  As a
   result, I long ago came up with a "simple" alternative.  The GIMP will
   import a PDF (converting it to an image at whatever resolution one
   desires).  So far, I've been able to import PDFs that 'evince' et al
   have failed on.  Not sure why, but I'm _gussing_ it's because The GIMP
   opens it in some read-only/non-fillable mode.  Anyway, it's then fairly
   easy to add text "layers" to fill in the form.  I like this because
   there's no scanning involved (i.e. no dust, distortions, etc.) so the
   saved form is "perfect".  I can even scan my signature and add it to
   the form where needed.  You can then print the image directly from
   TheGIMP, or export it to a PDF (or, if that doesn't work, export to
   PNG, then use 'pdfjam' to collect all the PDFs into one (admittedly
   huge) final PDF.
   A second, similar, alternative is to import it into InkScape.  Since
   InkScape uses vector graphics the resulting PDFs are much smaller, but
   I find it more cumbersome and time consuming to use.  Trade-offs,
   trade-offs. :^|
   Just my $0.02 USD.
   Cheers
   Leland
   --------
   Leland C. Best       | Creationists make it sound as though a 'theory'
   is
   [1]lcbpublic@[2]gmail.com  | something you dreamt up after being drunk
   all night.
   --------