Re: easy CoC solution: permanently end in-person conference

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: easy CoC solution: permanently end in-person conference
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2021 08:27:04 -0700

FWIW, among other family issues, I have myself felt uncomfortable with
the prospect of flying to conferences for exactly this reason. The stats
on the environmental significance of flying are overwhelming. I saw
something like a flight within the U.S. 48-states being comparable to 8
months of average driving.

I also heard a good argument that the *enemies* of a healthy, free,
sustainable society (such as the developers of the worst and most
abusive proprietary software and also the people behind the most
polluting industries) are continuing to fly all over and do everything
they can to retain *their* solidarity and businesses.

I do not believe in fighting fire with fire. I do not believe two wrongs
make a right. But I do believe that we should take a consequentialist or
utilitarian approach that is thinking in the long-term. If (and maybe
only if) activists flying to get together is part of what makes enough
difference to a movement that it really has more impact, it will be
worth it.

If 500 plane trips happen and the connections they support lead to
stripping away the power of the oligarchs who block society from
becoming truly sustainable, then it could be worth it.

But maybe a small number of people can do global-reach in-person
conferences that bring together effectively representatives of more
localized conferences that don't involve flying.

Here's a suggestion: how about an organized global LibrePlanet where a
smaller gathering is held in every large city in the world. People from
the region of each city will gather, have valuable in-person
connections, and efforts will be made to all engage together. Every
local gathering will watch a keynote presentation and so on.

We should be conscious of the impacts and costs of our choices, but we
should also not sacrifice our effectiveness as a movement.

In harmony,
Aaron Wolf