Re: Overlap between the Software Freedom movement and the Right to Repai

From: Paul Sutton
Subject: Re: Overlap between the Software Freedom movement and the Right to Repair?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 18:35:53 +0100

On 29/04/2021 18:06, Greg Knittl wrote:
Hi Lars,

The various GNU licences rely on copyright. I'm not sure if this is just trying to make the best of a bad situation by hacking copyright into it's opposite or whether belief in copyright is intrinsic to Software Freedom.

Whatever the Software Freedom take is, I'm very much in favour of the right to repair. If only to reduce the amount of e-waste we generate. I'm in favour of a fundamental right to minimize one's carbon footprint, that would outweigh copyright when copyright gets in the way of repair and reuse in cases where it is less carbon intensive to repair and reuse than to build new. I see this as complimentary to and enhancing the right to repair which I'm sure has other good justifications independent of carbon footprint.

The potential conflict with Software Freedom being that overriding copyright might override the Software Freedom attempt to hack copyright

into it's opposite and the sharing that enforces.

Greg

I too,agree with right to repair, on the basis that repairing devices can reduce e-waste and therefore our own carbon footprint. This is especially useful when the fault, is something very simple that can be fixed.

I think this is more a moral, ethical issue, allowing ewaste to pile high, removing more rare eath elements from the ground , and the associated damage (and in some cases exploitation) that comes with this, is really important to consider, we can't keep taking these elements from the ground, without considering the consequences of doing so.

Children and young people understand this, they understand what is happening to the planet. they look to us to take action to protect the planet, and are also holding adults to account and blaming US for the damage being done to the planet.

There is also a finite supply,

Paul