Re: Avoiding paying Windows license in the US

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Avoiding paying Windows license in the US
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 15:14:55 +0300

* Julian Daich <julian.daich@freecomputerlabs.org> [2021-05-30 15:01]:
> El dom, 30 may 2021 a las 7:42, Jean Louis (<bugs@gnu.support>) escribió:
> >
> > * Julian Daich <julian.daich@freecomputerlabs.org> [2021-05-30 06:47]:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I got a new HP laptop and still did notl open it- Any idea how to
> > > avoid paying the Windows license before installing GNU/ Linux?
> >
> > Some reference:
> > https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-to-get-a-windows-tax-refund.html
> >

> Hi Jean,
>
> Thank you. The article is from 2007 and I do not know how relevant it
> will be today,

Laws, unless they change, they remain relevant. Contract laws are in
almost every country similar. The basis is the consent. If user did
not consent and was not well informed to give a consent, the contract
may be invalid.

> Also it is not so clear who the customer service is. The
> manufacturer I guess.

Maybe you should say in your case who is it.

> > I remember if you don't accept EULA or whatever license, you have
> > right for refund.
>
> I want to be sure that I can ask for refund before removing Windows.

You should read EULA, so far I remember, by non-acceptance of the EULA
you may get the refund. I do not know what license is in your case,
why not read it exactly?

More references:
http://marc.merlins.org/linux/refundday/

https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-General/How-to-get-refund-on-unused-Microsoft-OS/td-p/3337455

https://www.theregister.com/2008/12/04/dell_windows_eula_israel/

"By using this software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept
them, do not use the software. instead, contact the manufacturer or
installer to determine their return policy for a refund or credit."

Do you read that?

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns