Re: MS Teams and Windows 11

From: quiliro
Subject: Re: MS Teams and Windows 11
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 15:44:14 -0500

Paul Sutton via libreplanet-discuss
<libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org> writes:

> Hi All
>
> I found something interesting in a BBC news article with regard to MS
> teams and Windows 11.
>
> It seems that Teams will be even more integrated in to the next
> release of windows.   I am not a legal expert.  However this could
> once again prove to be a monopoly grab for MS and just highlights they
> don't get it when it comes to un competitive practice.  MS have been
> in court for Anti trust violations.
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57597352
>
> I am not sure if the FSF legal department can take a look at this, as
> it may be something that the FSF, FSFE, EFF and others need to
> scrutinize to see if there is a violation in competition law.
>
> I can't see the people behind zoom being very happy about this either,
> so we should perhaps be more vocal about it, but more to the promotion
> of alternative.

> In the mean time,
>
> https://test.bigbluebutton.org/
>
> is a useful link to allow people to try out Big Blue Button,  lets
> promote the alternatives, of course there is also jit.si but BBB is
> designed for education,  esp as if a BBB instance can be hosted in
> different jurisdictions (such as in the EU/UK) then the GDPR apples.
>
> Just thought I would highlight this.  If a barrier to people using
> free and open source software is a perceived lack of tools,  is it due
> to the lack of tools or lack of awareness of alternatives.   Most
> people have never heard of Big Blue Button or Jit.si for example.
>
> Hope this helps

It does.

I am worried that Jut.si does not work on either of my
machines because they are old.  On the other hand, I do not like using
software which is not installed by me, because I want an audit for
freedom, security and privacy, beforehand.  Browser embedded software is
too much of a task to audit because it changes so much.

I have never used Big Blue Button.  Will it also run on a browser?  If
it does, is there some other solution to making videoconferencing?
Maybe XMPP or Tox or Matrix could be a solution.  But I am not sure
about their characteristics.