Freedom ladder call for participation

From: Greg Farough
Subject: Freedom ladder call for participation
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2021 16:24:20 -0400

Hi, everyone,

You might have seen this already, but we're looking for community
participation[1] on a new guide of ours called the "freedom ladder,"
which we hope will allow people unfamiliar with free software to take
their first steps into the movement.

One extremely important problem with general GNU/Linux "guides" is
that they end up encouraging the user to rest content with a computer
running at least some amount of nonfree software, if they even bother
to talk about software freedom at all. By contrast, we want ours to
acknowledge that it isn't necessary to go from a fully proprietary
computing setup to a fully free one in the span of a single day,
*while at the same time* encourage them in a way that keeps the fully
free "finish line" constantly in mind. Every little bit helps, and
it's important to keep in mind that every refusal[2] to use a
proprietary program is a step in the right direction.

We'd love your help on this, so over the course of the next month
we'll be hosting some IRC sessions[3] about each of the steps that we've
drafted.

Hoping to hear from you and to see you there.

-g

[1]:
https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/the-journey-begins-with-a-single-step-climb-the-freedom-ladder
[2]: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/saying-no-even-once.html