Re: [libunwind] comments on libunwind proposal

From: David Mosberger
Subject: Re: [libunwind] comments on libunwind proposal
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:23:59 -0800

  >> The current implementation *is* IA-64 specific, but that's just
  >> because I can't do everything on my own.  I'd love to see, e.g.,
  >> x86 and Alpha implementations.

  Jim> We already have them in gcc, and they are already known to
  Jim> work.  There is no need for you to do everything on your own if
  Jim> you do work on the existing gcc code.

Yes, leveraging the existing gcc code is certainly the right approach
(the license of libunwind should already be compatible to make this
possible).  Still, without help from others, it will take me some time
to get around to it.  But clearly there needs to be proof that the API
is portable to other platforms.  Before pursuing this, I just want to
make sure the API really is sufficient for GCC, GDB, and Ski.

  Jim> If starting a new libunwind project encourages more people to
  Jim> work on the unwinder and gcc, then it will be a good thing.
  Jim> However, if this just splits the effort of existing volunteers
  Jim> between libunwind and gcc, then this could further delay the
  Jim> progress of gcc, which would be a bad thing.

I hope it won't splinter the effort.  The proof is in the pudding, of
course.

Thanks,