Re: [libunwind] suggest adding unw_init_local_accessors

From: David Mosberger
Subject: Re: [libunwind] suggest adding unw_init_local_accessors
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 12:31:20 -0800

  Mark> 1) libunwind-dynamic.h needs to get installed.

OK, that will be fixed in the next update.

  Mark> 2) to make unw_get_accessors(unw_local_addr_space) work there
  Mark> needs to be a way to initialize unw_local_addr_space without
  Mark> calling unw_init_local or unw_init_remote.

Ditto.

  Mark> 3) errors originating in ia64_make_proc_info can be returned
  Mark> by unw_init_local, unw_init_remote, or unw_step. I'd like to
  Mark> focus recovery for this set of errors in one place by
  Mark> deferring the call to ia64_make_proc_info into unw_step. I
  Mark> believe this can be done with no change in functionality by
  Mark> replacing the ia64_make_proc_info calls in common_init and
  Mark> update_frame_state with return 0 and inserting the call to
  Mark> ia64_make_proc_info (and a test of its return value) as the
  Mark> first thing done in unw_step.

Actually, this one we can't do.  The API requires that after
unw_init_{local,remote}, the cursor must point to a valid frame.
Without the unw_step(), this wouldn't be the case.  I don't want to
change the API because even though it would be easy to make the
suggested change for ia64, it is not clear whether it could reasonably
be implemented for other architectures (and I also don't like the idea
of having an initial cursor value which is meaningless).  Hope that's
OK.