Re: [libunwind] Changing the value of "gp"

From: David Mosberger
Subject: Re: [libunwind] Changing the value of "gp"
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 13:16:33 -0800

  Praveen> Unfortunately, I'm porting our code (a very huge code
  Praveen> base) to linux ia64, so can't switch languages :-(

Well, what I was thinking is whether you might get away with compiling
your program with C++: leave everthing in C, except that you take
advantage of the real (and efficient) exception-handling that C++
offers (mind you, I'm not a fan of C++ in any way, quite the contrary,
but given the exception handling mechanism that you seem to want, it
would be a logical choice).

  Praveen> You mentioned in your earlier mail that I could write
  Praveen> my own stub to correct the "gp". Could you please give
  Praveen> any pointers to that (reading material, anything).

The itanium runtime architecture & software-conventions cover this.
Perhaps Section 2.2 of my book (http://www.lia64.org/book/) would be a
gentler introduction, though I wouldn't recommend to spend the $60 on
it _just_ for that.  Perhaps there are other tutorials online, I don't
know.