[libunwind] Strange behaviour of latex2man

From: Matthieu Delahaye
Subject: [libunwind] Strange behaviour of latex2man
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:27:12 +0100

Hi,

It seems that latex2man interpret the newline char while scanning .tex
files to generate the corresponding man pages.

As a consequence, the lines:

\begin{Name}{3}{libunwind-ia64}{David Mosberger-Tang}{Programming
Library}{IA-64-specific support in libunwind}
  libunwind-ia64 -- IA-64-specific support in libunwind
\end{Name}

Generate for the NAME section:
<begin>
.SH NAME

libunwind\-ia64 \-\- IA\-64\-specific support in libunwind
.PP
<end>

I observed that from the bk repository and with the one I generated with
latex2man.

lexgrog is an application reading man pages and extract NAME section to
get for example:

libunwind-ia64 -- IA-64-specific support in libunwind

It uses the same algorithm as used for generating db used by whatis
It is usually used for testing correctness of man pages.

But lexgrog generate in our case:
libunwind-ia64.man: parse failed

Which means whatis won;t be usable.

Removing the blank line after ".SH NAME" solve the problem.
To not get this blank line generated by latex2man, the newline in the
tex file must be removed.

Without it, latex2man create:
<begin>
.SH NAME
libunwind\-ia64
\-\- IA\-64\-specific support in libunwind
.PP
<end>
and output of lexgrog gives:
libunwind-ia64- - IA-64-specific support in libunwind

It seems that the two dashes do not give the right output. But at least
it is readable, and doesn't change output of man pages.

So to those who are interested, I've attached a patch to correct it.

Regards,

Matthieu