Re: [libunwind] Dynamic unwinding docs

From: Johan Walles
Subject: Re: [libunwind] Dynamic unwinding docs
Date: 05 Dec 2003 22:29:28 +0100

fre 2003-12-05 klockan 17.30 skrev David Mosberger:

>   Johan> Hi!  What documentation (except for the header files and test
>   Johan> programs) exist for libunwind's dynamic unwinding support?
>
> There isn't much yet (it's one of the TODO items...).  But I'd be
> happy to try to answer any questions in regards to it (and that would
> probably help me write good man-pages in the not too distant future).

I already know about the first-rate online support you provide, and it
is much appreciated by me and my work-mates.  You rule :-).

As for specifics, I'm at home right now so I am currently unable to run
into problems with libunwind and turn them into questions, but what
*would* be nice to have is a step by step instruction:

Assume I have all information about my dynamically generated function.
Assume I want GDB to be able to step through it and give me proper
register values (floating point registers can be ignored for now if it
matters) and function names.  What code do I need to write for that to
happen on IA64?

Such a code example (I guess that won't be many lines of code) would be
awesome.

I'm not sure about the scope of libunwind, but here are some random
wishes that would all be nice to have as an added bonus:
* Attaching file name / line number information to address ranges.
* Function parameter information.
* Local variable information.
* Global variable information.

  Cheers //Johan