RE: [libunwind] libunwind segv with gcc 2.96 programs run on RedhatEL 3

From: Harrow, Jerry
Subject: RE: [libunwind] libunwind segv with gcc 2.96 programs run on RedhatEL 3 with GLIBC 2.3.2
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:34:18 -0500

Redhat really only has 2 supported Linux versions for Itanium.  Redhat
AS 2.1 and Redhat EL 3.0 (Oct 2003).  Gcc 2.96 is what came with AS 2.1.
I would therefore presume that most "deployed" applications on
Redhat/Itanium are compiled with Gcc 2.96.

If gdb is patched to use libunwind, does that mean you cannot debug
applications built with Gcc 2.96.  Perhaps GDB can recover a bit better
because it is running outside the process, but it sounds like it may not
work at all.

>> The other thing that might work, Jerry, is to build a
statically-linked >> binary on RH EL V3 and then run that binary on the
older RH system.

Like GDB or a profiler, my application analyzes user applications.
Therefore I have no control over how they are built.  Even if I build my
code on RH EL 3 it isn't going to fix the users application.

Is there any way to detect that the application is not using the new
unwind structures and therefore we should not attempt to utilize
libunwind?  Can you even tell what compiler was used in an image?

Thanks.

-Jer