RE: [libunwind] Cursor copying

From: Thomas Hallgren
Subject: RE: [libunwind] Cursor copying
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 15:31:36 +0100

> Hmmh, can you say a bit more why you need this?  I'm not terribly fond
> of adding routines which mention unw_context_t, since those by
> definition work for local unwinding only.  From my perspective, it
> would be preferable if applications could manage the life-time of
> unw_context_t so it's never necessary to copy such a structure.
>
>       --david
Apparently, in our current code (not using libunwind) we make copies to
be able to restore any side effects on the original context that might
have been caused by unwinding.

>From your statement and the suggested "reverse unwind" approach in the
overview I take it unw_step() will only affect the cursor and not the
context? If that's the case, a shallow copy will suffice.

It's a bit unclear to me what functions that affect the cursor and what
functions that affect the context. Aside from unw_set_reg and
unw_set_fpreg, are there any?

Regards,

Thomas Hallgren