[libunwind] Signal handlers and unw_resume

From: Thomas Hallgren
Subject: [libunwind] Signal handlers and unw_resume
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:55:05 +0100

I have a question on doing a unw_resume from within a signal handler. I do the following:

I call unw_getcontext() from within a signal handler followed by an unw_init_local() and a number of unw_step() calls to take me passed the signal frame and to the point where the code was interrupted. After some local processing I then call unw_resume() just prior to where the signal handler return would be.

Then it struck me. Using this approach I effectively skip any clean-up processing that normally would occur in the caller of the signal handler. Is that a problem? Or is it an unspoken law that such processing should never occur in a well written OS?

Regards,

Thomas Hallgren