[libunwind] Question on libunwind-dynamic

From: Thomas Hallgren
Subject: [libunwind] Question on libunwind-dynamic
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:30:17 +0100

The binary code that we are unwinding contains a lot of code that is runtime generated. Reading the libunwind manual, I conclude that there’s two ways to deal with this.

  1. Register all runtime generated code using the libunwind-dynamic stuff.
  2. Provide accessor functions that can deal with the dynamic code.

Considering that we might have hundreds of thousands of small functions generated, and that all information about the functions can be derived from already existing structures given the instruction pointer, the second approach seems much more appealing. It does however bring a few questions.

  1. It seems that the only way to use the accessors is to register them with unw_init_remote. Will that incur an unnecessary overhead? Or is perhaps the overhead using remote in fact the use of a function table?
  2. Using the libunwind-dynamic, there is a way to register things so that libunwind is globally aware of them. Would it be possible to do the same thing for an accessors?

Regards,

Thomas Hallgren