[libunwind] Re: x86_64 PIC archives

From: David Mosberger
Subject: [libunwind] Re: x86_64 PIC archives
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 01:17:01 -0700

  Mark> David, I want to create a shared object for x86_64 with
  Mark> libunwind statically linked in. The libunwind archive files
  Mark> currently built for x86_64 contain non-PIC objects which
  Mark> cannot be linked to create a shared object. The libunwind
  Mark> shared object files contain PIC objects but I haven't found
  Mark> any way to relink them. Would it be reasonable/possible for
  Mark> you either to compile everything as PIC or to extend the build
  Mark> procedure to create a parallel set of libunwind archive files
  Mark> containing PIC objects?

All the library-building is controlled by libtool and I'd really like
to keep it that way.  If there is an easy and clean way to do what you
want with libtool, I certainly would be willing to consider it.  You
may be best off compiling libunwind yourself, since you seem to have
special requirements.  Perhaps all you need to do is configure
libunwind with CFLAGS="-g -O2 -fPIC" and you'd be all set?