Re: [libunwind] libunwind in gcc

From: David Mosberger
Subject: Re: [libunwind] libunwind in gcc
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 04:15:37 -0700

  Jim> I know that David Mosberger is working with the debian
  Jim> developers.  They were working on getting an official debian
  Jim> libunwind package out.  I don't know the status of that.  They
  Jim> will probably migrate libunwind to the new scheme very soon
  Jim> now, though it may be a while before they have a gcc that uses
  Jim> the new scheme, as we the gcc developers haven't released one
  Jim> yet.

Debian does have a libunwind package.  Next is to get the Debian GCC
packages built with libunwind.  Now that HJ has sorted out the GCC 3.4
compatibility issues, this is hopefully just a matter of more time.

SuSE also has libunwind packages but I'm unsure what their plans are
w.r.t. GCC.  I assume/hope that starting with GCC 3.4.3, they'd enable
the use of libunwind.

I'm less sure where Red Hat stands.  AFAIK, their GDB is built with
libunwind-support enabled, so there must be some libunwind packages,
but they may not be the most current ones.