Re: [libunwind] Basic use of dynamic features?

From: David Mosberger
Subject: Re: [libunwind] Basic use of dynamic features?
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 00:29:37 -0800

Hi Tommy,

  Tommy> Generalizing my test (e.g. removing UNW_LOCAL_ONLY and having
  Tommy> a stackunwinder present in the code) forced me to link
  Tommy> against libunwind-ia64, which in turn made my initial test
  Tommy> fail (it only registers dynamically created unwind-info and
  Tommy> uses throw and catch).  As I understood it UNW_LOCAL_ONLY
  Tommy> limits the functionality to a pure subset of what you get
  Tommy> otherwise.

Yes, that's definitely the intent.

  Tommy> I also thought that using the same functionality in
  Tommy> libunwind.so and libunwind-ia64.so would give me the same
  Tommy> results as long as I'm only using the "local"
  Tommy> functionality. Have I missinterpreted something basic here?

Nope.  It sounds like you may have run into a bug.  Definitely try
0.98 first, though.  Many bugs have been fixed since 0.97.

  Tommy> And yes, I can live with UNW_LOCAL_ONLY for my basic
  Tommy> functionality but looking at writing my own stackdump
  Tommy> function seems to force me to use remote features.  If I want
  Tommy> to write my own stackdump function that I could call from the
  Tommy> commandline in a debugger. I therefor need to get some kind
  Tommy> of reference to the stack I want to dump. Calling a function
  Tommy> from the command line in the debugger makes the calling
  Tommy> function to be placed on another callstack than the
  Tommy> application I want to debug. I'm not shure on exactly how it
  Tommy> is implemented but functions like this can access the
  Tommy> applicatons data so I assume the correlation between them
  Tommy> (called function and the application I'm debugging) could be
  Tommy> viewed as two threads (same data, different stacks).  Do I
  Tommy> need remote functionality to be able to access another
  Tommy> threads callstack (whitout it doing things like
  Tommy> unw_local_init itself)?  Any tips on how to do it?

I'm not sure I'm following completely here (it's late, what can I say...).

If removing UNW_LOCAL_ONLY still doesn't work with libunwind v0.98.3,
any chance you could provide a minimal test-case that demonstrates the
problem?  That would help immensely.

Thanks,