Re: [libunwind] remote unwinding and dynamically-generated code

From: Todd L Miller
Subject: Re: [libunwind] remote unwinding and dynamically-generated code
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:27:19 -0600 (CST)

> Yes, it does.  For example, with the gdb v6.3, you can backtrace over
> dynamically generated code assuming you have libunwind installed and
> the code-generator uses _U_dyn_register().

        If _U_dyn_register() works for remote processes, why would I ever
bother to insert dynamic unwind information in the remote process?  (Just
so that any process later attatching to it would have access to the
information?)

        If _U_dyn_register() works for a remote processes, which processes
does it work _for_?  The ptrace accessors allow me to unwind in more than
one remote process, which may have different dynamically-generated code.
I don't remember seeing a pid argument anywhere in the dynamic unwind
information structures.

        For my purposes, if the remote processes' dynamic unwind
information can be registered locally, than the entire question goes away.

        Actually, maybe I phrased the question poorly.  Your answer says
that a call to _U_dyn_register() in process local will be 'seen' during
unwinding from process remote.  I was trying to ask if a call to
_U_dyn_register() in process remote (e.g., gdb) will be 'seen' during the
unwinding (in process remote) of process local.

- Todd L Miller