Re: [libunwind] using libunwind causes application to crash just while s

From: David Mosberger
Subject: Re: [libunwind] using libunwind causes application to crash just while starting
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:49:27 -0800

  Krzysiek> I am using libunwind 0.98.3 version.

  Krzysiek> I compiled it successfully on a x86_64 Linux machine using
  Krzysiek> gcc-3.2.3 (for details see attached config.log).

Libunwind for x86-64 is a work-in-progress.  You'd probably have
better luck with the development version of libunwind, which is
available via bitkeeper:

        http://unwind.bkbits.net:8080/libunwind

be sure the read the README, especially the section on x86-64.

While this version is working quite well for me, things are certainly
not perfect.  I hope to fix that as much as possible in the not too
distant future, but of course it'd help if others contribute
improvements....

Also, there is unfortunately a rather fundamental problem with
unwinding on x86-64: the unwind-info that GCC emits is not
sufficiently accurate to enable unwinding at _any_ point in the code.
Thus, unwinding across, e.g., a signal-handler, will not work properly
until GCC gets fixed.