Re: [libunwind] 0.95 vs 0.98

From: James E Wilson
Subject: Re: [libunwind] 0.95 vs 0.98
Date: 02 Mar 2006 14:53:42 -0800
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 14:52:55 -0800

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 14:18, Umut Aymakoglu wrote:
>  Wondering what the differences are between the version 0.98 and if it
> is beneficial for us to move to 0.98.

There is a NEWS file in the sources that lists most of the changes.
Some of the changes are for x86 support, some of the changes are bug
fixes for getting corner cases right.

>From a end user standpoint, I think the most significant change is that
there was an ABI change.  libunwind libraries are supposed to be
interchangeable, but the original API did not specify enough low level
ABI details to ensure that.  So there was a new libunwind ABI created in
addition to the existing libunwind API, and libunwind-0.98 conforms to
the new ABI.  gcc-3.4 and later assume the new ABI, so if you want to
use gcc-3.4 or later, then an upgrade to libunwind-0.98 is recommended,
and possibly required.