Re: [libunwind] HP-UX 11.23 ia64 && gcc 3.4.6

From: James E Wilson
Subject: Re: [libunwind] HP-UX 11.23 ia64 && gcc 3.4.6
Date: 02 Aug 2006 15:52:44 -0700
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 15:50:38 -0700

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 12:39, Todd English wrote:
> -bash-2.05b$ c++ -o test main.cpp
> ld: Unsatisfied symbol "_Unwind_SetIP" in file
> /opt/gcc-3.4.6/lib/gcc/ia64-hp-hpux11.23/3.4.6/../../../libstdc++.a[eh_p
> ersonality.o]

This seems to be a gcc bug.  Normally, gcc automatically adds -lunwind
to the link command for ia64-hpux.  Unfortunately, this code is in the
shared library support, so if you configure gcc with --disable-shared,
the C++ EH support breaks, as libunwind is no longer being linked in.

If you manually add a -lunwind to the compiler command, that should
solve the problem.  Unless there are library ordering issues, in which
case you might need something more complicated like -lstdc++ -lunwind.

HPUX comes with its own libunwind library.  There should be no need to
build the free software libunwind library from source on an HPUX
machine.

I don't have an ia64-hpux machine, but I can reproduce the same problem
on an ia64-linux machine configuring with --disable-shared.  This
problem needs to be reported into the FSF GCC bugzilla so it gets fixed.

Jim