Re: [libunwind] walking the callstack on an x86 machine

From: Arun Sharma
Subject: Re: [libunwind] walking the callstack on an x86 machine
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:20:35 -0700

Alex Shye wrote:
Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. I don't know much about the DWARF format I as I understand, it is included with compiling with debug information, correct?

I guess I didn't state my question clearly enough, but what if you only have stripped binaries without any debug information to work with? Are there any resources for stack walking in such a scenario?

Stripping binaries to remove unwind information means language run times
(such as C++ exception handing) will have trouble as well. It's possible
to strip binaries without removing unwind info.

Another issue with speculative stack walking is safety. If the unwinder
is in-process, how do you check if the return address is valid in a
non-racy way?

        -Arun