Re: [Libunwind-devel] Function Address

From: David Mosberger-Tang
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] Function Address
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 13:38:55 -0600

On 8/16/07, Thiago Jung Bauermann <address@hidden> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity... I believe IA64 uses function pointers as well,
> right? Does it also have PLT entries containing "resolved" function
> pointers which are maintained by the dynamic linker, like what José
> Flávio is trying to access here?
>
> If so, I would think IA64 would have the same issue.

The difference that I didn't appreciate until recently (when Andreas
chimed in) is that on PPC64, apparently *all* references to function
symbols refer to the function descriptor.  On ia64, it's different:
for a function FOO, the symbol FOO will refer to the text-address of
FOO.  To refer to the function desciptor, operators such as @fptr(FOO)
are used.  In other words, on ia64, we can look up function symbols
like any other symbol.