Re: [Libunwind-devel] libunwind ARM port

From: Anderson Lizardo
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] libunwind ARM port
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 12:13:27 -0400

On Jan 2, 2008 11:51 AM, Daniel Jacobowitz <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 11:36:17AM -0400, Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a Linux ARM port of libunwind? If not, has anyone started work on
> > it?
> >
> > I looked through the project pages and mailing list archives, but
> > could not find anything.
>
> My coworker Julian Brown has done a partial ARM port, and I've done a
> partial MIPS port.  They're of somewhat limited use, the ARM version
> especially; they only know how to unwind using DWARF-2 unwind tables,
> and on ARM that means you need the .debug_frame support we've also
> been working on (ARM does not use the standard .eh_frame mechanism
> that other platforms use).  That limitation aside, they work very
> well.
>
> We're planning to submit them in the next month or two, I hope.

Good to know! I'm particularly interested in getting simple backtraces
(just the addresses from each called function should suffice) from
running applications using libunwind's ptrace support. Do you know
whether is this possible with .debug_frame information generated by
latest CodeSourcery ARM toolchains? Is there any public snapshot where
one could get current work on dwarf-2 support for ARM?

Sorry if this may sound a bit OT to this list.

Thanks,
--
Anderson Lizardo
OpenBossa Labs - Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia