[Libunwind-devel] x86-64: Unwinding from a signal handler

From: Stephen D. Bowline
Subject: [Libunwind-devel] x86-64: Unwinding from a signal handler
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 13:01:02 -0700 (PDT)

  We have an in-house performance tuning tool that uses backtrace() for
stack frame sampling.  For reasons I'm not too clear about, this has
suddenly stopped working on our application.  We run on AMD64 CPUs
running SUSE 9.3.

 I attempted to use libunwind to get the stack instead of backtrace().  We
spin a new thread that just wakes up at certain intervals to send SIGPROF
and cause other threads to interrupt and save their stack frames to be
processed for profiling info later.

 What do I need so that the stack just prior to the interrupt can be
sampled?  When I use the example in the man pages I get a very shallow
stack that begins at the interrupt.

 Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-stephen