[Libunwind-devel] libunwind-ptrace compiled only as a static library

From: Jorge Lucángeli Obes
Subject: [Libunwind-devel] libunwind-ptrace compiled only as a static library
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:13:15 +0200

Hi all,

I've compiled libunwind-0.99 on an 64-bit Ubuntu 9.04 system, and
libunwind-ptrace is compiled only as a static library. Is this
expected? Is there a reason why that's the only part of the library
not also compiled as a shared library? I want to build a simple Python
wrapper over code that uses libunwind on a ptrace'd program, and the
Python extension needs to be a shared object, and ld complains
(reasonably) that libunwind-ptrace.a cannot be linked into a shared
object because it was not compiled as PIC. Any ideas? Thanks in
advance for any replies, please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the
list.

Cheers,
Jorge