[Libunwind-devel] Why nobody answers?

From: jacob navia
Subject: [Libunwind-devel] Why nobody answers?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 19:52:45 +0100

Hi

I sent the message below on March 2th, 2010. I have received zero
answers. Maybe one of you can help me (or send me to the people that could
help me)?

Hi

I need to add frame information dynamically to a running program. In the Mac OS X environment, I have discovered that I need to use libunwind since that is what the
system libraries use.

Since the Apple library version of libunwind is not published, I would like to port libunwind to the Mac OS X to be able to use the dynamic features that in the
Apple version of libunwind have been deleted.

Here is an excerpt of "libunwind.h" in the official /usr/include directory
/*
* traditional libuwind "remote" API
*   NOT IMPLEMENTED on Mac OS X
*
* extern int unw_init_remote(unw_cursor_t*, unw_addr_space_t, thread_t*);
* extern unw_accessors_t   unw_get_accessors(unw_addr_space_t);
* extern unw_addr_space_t  unw_create_addr_space(unw_accessors_t, int);
* extern void unw_flush_cache(unw_addr_space_t, unw_word_t, unw_word_t); * extern int unw_set_caching_policy(unw_addr_space_t, unw_caching_policy_t);
* extern void              _U_dyn_register(unw_dyn_info_t*);
* extern void              _U_dyn_cancel(unw_dyn_info_t*);
*/

I need to use _U_dyn_register/_U_dyn_cancel.

I tried to compile libunwind from sources but there isn't any "elf.h" in the
Mac of course, since it doesn't use elf binary format.

To go on I would need a description of how I would replace "elf.h" and
the elf routines with routines reading the frame info from the executable
in the mac. I have the source code of the unwinddump utility in the mac,
so it wouldn't be really impossible to replace those.

There is an open bug report from September 2009 to Apple where people
asked Apple to disclose their modifications to libunwind. The source code
is still not there. Maybe somebody here could send a letter to Apple? That
could (maybe) accelerate things...

Thanks in advance for any information in this subject.

Jacob Navia