Re: [Libunwind-devel] Crash in libunwind 0.99 on x86_64

From: Arun Sharma
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] Crash in libunwind 0.99 on x86_64
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:34:26 -0700

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Dave Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
Thanks Arun. I suspect the git version would fix the crash I saw, if
it occurred at the exact same address in the first page again, however
I wanted to understand the likelihood of getting a crash at some other
place in the future.

The likelihood depends on the compiler version used, presence of handwritten asm, third party libraries without proper unwind information etc.

There are better solutions possible  (eg: implementing interfaces to query valid stack addresses in the threading library you're using), but they require modifications to other pieces of low level code (eg: libc).

 -Arun