[Libunwind-devel] retrieve Stack Trace of all threads from Current proce

From: POKHARAKAR Sandeep
Subject: [Libunwind-devel] retrieve Stack Trace of all threads from Current process
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 18:47:55 +0900

Hello all,

I am currently able to install libunwind on my Linux x86_64 and use this. I have installed libunwind by following the steps mentioned in the installation doc and it is successful.

I also, I could retrieve the Current call stack of the Current thread by using “unw_init_remote” method. But also I want to access other threads of my current Process and see their call stack and I am stuck at this point.

In my application, using JVMTI APIs I can handle events when a native binding occurs to get the OS thread Ids that are bound. I would like to get information of all these native threads i.e using the thread Ids, I would like to walk the their stack. But there seems to be no direct approach for this.

The steps I followed to achieve this are:

unw_getcontext =>

unw_create_addr_space => passed unw_accessors_t.

_UPT_create => passed process id and thread ids.

unw_init_remote => passed above return value.

unw_step => to walk the stack frames

but method unw_step fails i.e. return value greater than 0 and does not return the expected result for me. Could you please tell me what all could be the reasons of failure of this.

Also I am quite confused about the usage of callback methods assigned to unw_accessors_t, how these callback methods can be implemented or used to achieve my objective.

Is there any workaround to _UPT_create? How can we use it for multiple threads?

Is there any sample which I can refer? Please help  me on this topic.

With Regards,

Sandeep POKHARAKAR

This e-mail communication and any attachments are privileged and confidential and intended only for the use of the recipients named above. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not review, disclose, disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail and attachments. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by email or telephone.