Re: [Libunwind-devel] Re: Backtrace from signal handler on arm from thre

From: Lassi Tuura
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] Re: Backtrace from signal handler on arm from threads
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 16:07:13 +0100

Hi,

>>> Hmm.  Looking at it, it might seem like libpthread is lacking some
>>> symbols, creating problems.
>>
>> Symbols don't affect unwinding, as far as I know.
>
> Yeah, that was another thing I was wondering about...  Can I in some
> way use strip or other tools to remove debug symbols while keeping
> unwind info alive?  It currently does not work at all if I don't have
> my oversized libc and libpthread with full debug info in there.

I am not familiar enough with ARM toolchain to say one way or another.

In terms of what ELF libraries can contain, sure it should be possible.
The unwind info is in .eh_frame{,_hdr} sections on other platforms. But
I had understood from other ARM-related mails on this list that some other
(.debug_frame?) section was used on ARM instead. I don't know if that is
universal, or specific to one toolchain (IIRC that was uclibc).

Regards,
Lassi