Re: [Libunwind-devel] problem with ms_abi on x86-64

From: Lassi Tuura
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] problem with ms_abi on x86-64
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 18:56:55 +0200

Hi,

> The larger footprint is certainly a reasonable
> explanation for a slow down.
>
> Are those figures for local processing (i.e.,
> introsepection), or from an external process?

Local. We use a profiler which tracks every memory allocation. It walks the
stack using
unw_backtrace() on every malloc() call. The apps we are optimising usually do
about 1M
allocations per second when not profiled. Under profiling we manage to handle
~400k/s.

> What do you mean by `apply the patch, but diable it
> by default'?  Does that mean that a compile time
> switch or a runtime switch?

It was committed over weekend in the form of "configure
--enable-msabi-support", it seems.

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=libunwind.git;a=commitdiff;h=e09f9701ffcd05b097565d15daa87ac1b2d84299

Regards,
Lassi