Re: [Libunwind-devel] libunwind with LD_PRELOAD option

From: Arun Sharma
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] libunwind with LD_PRELOAD option
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 07:49:01 -0700

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 3:55 AM, Shan Shan
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Yes, i built libunwind with
> ./configure --host=arm-none-linux-gnueabi
>
> option only. Should i have "--enable-cxx-exceptions" also?

No you shouldn't.

> Also does libunwind dependent on any other libraries (i.e.) is it dependent
> on a debug version of a library? like ld (in Valgrind) or libc? Coz all the
> libraries running in target are stripped production versions without debug.
> Should i include libunwind first in LD_LIBRARY_PATH? Right now it's at the
> end? If libunwind takes over gcc libs, is the order of symbol search in
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH matters?

It's dependent on libdl and libc, but ok to strip symbols. I would be
careful when stripping ELF objects because you could be stripping out
unwind information as well (.eh_frame or .debug_frame sections).

Sounds like what you want to do is to get a remote gdb working for
your target, so you can have symbols and get a better handle on where
the binary is crashing. This way you won't be space limited due to
having an embedded target.

 -Arun