[Libunwind-devel] retrieving symbols

From: Steve Fink
Subject: [Libunwind-devel] retrieving symbols
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 16:30:55 -0800

With the current API, it seems like the only way to map return
addresses to symbols is to do it during iteration
(unw_get_proc_info(), which takes a cursor.) This is awkward for
things like profilers, where you want to quickly capture a bunch of
stack traces (probably during a signal handler), and then analyze them
later in aggregate. You might, for example, want to eliminate
duplicate PCs before looking up symbols. Or only look up symbols for a
subset of the stack samples (perhaps you're keeping a circular buffer
of samples and only analyzing samples preceding events of interest.)

How difficult would it be to support address -> symbol lookup without
a cursor? (Or is it there, and I'm missing it?) Right now, I'm using
dladdr(), which requires linking in a way that I can't really do. And
I don't really want to popen addr2line.