Re: [Libunwind-devel] Libunwind support for NULL IP

From: Prabhat Verma
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] Libunwind support for NULL IP
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 16:51:10 +0000

Hello All,

Special thanks to Arun for all the help.

I incorrectly assumed that unw_init_local makes a cursor out of the passed
context and returns it in the output buffer. But I see that modifying the
registers in the cursor (using unw_set_reg) results in the context being
modified too.

Is this the expected behavior? If not, why and under what circumstances can
this happen? Or is it that the context and the generated local cursor is
essentially the same memory?

I am asking this because in our codebase we provide a const guarantee for the
passed context but I have to cast it away to get unw_init_local to work in the
face of bad IP (the original post). For now, as a workaround, I created a
container to hold a copy of the passed context and use this copy instead. I
will fire up gdb and dig into libunwind codebase when I get the chance but am
hoping someone will provide me with the answer quicker.

All help highly appreciated.

Regards,
Prabhat